Most of us would already know that Human Resource Management (HRM) is a function within an organization that focuses on recruitment, management, and providing directions to people who work in an organization. Most of us also know that it is difficult to find a perfect solution in human resources when it comes to software programs. When a company fails to find the right Human Resource software to meet its unique needs, it tends to invest in a customized HR product. Though it may seem attractive, it may not be the correct option always.
A perfect HRMS is one that has a platform that’s reliable, secure, and easy to use immediately. If the reason for choosing customization is a valid one then, it can be of great use. There are some pros and cons that we must understand before we decide upon custom HRMS solutions.
- Custom software is built according to your standards, catering for your unique needs. It will give you all the features you need. Although it takes time and effort to build one, it is totally worth it as it gives you an edge over other companies and no one else can have access to it. It gives you a better advantage in helping you manage your people assets according to your corporate standards.
- It gives you a private label and is branded. This acts as a key to building and enhancing corporate culture. Having a private label option offers complete customization of the look and feel of your HRM. It can be fully branded and makes it more pleasant for you and your employees to use.
- It gives you robust capabilities. Some off-shelf HRMs have had plenty of time spent on development and it can also get limiting in what else they can do. A custom HRMS is built especially for you, for handling your company’s needs specifically and to accomplish certain tasks. So, you have all the capabilities that can expand as your needs evolve.
- The biggest problems with custom HRMS are that of time and cost commitment. It may seem easy to choose an off-shelf HRMS when you are in a hurry to get a product that works. The problem with custom HRMS is that you have to wait a bit longer. Many others which have an open-source code allow you to use some features during the period that you have to wait, and it can save you on project costs in the short term.
- Custom HRMS needs your involvement. Like any other customized product, you are expected to be more involved in building the software. You have to provide information regarding the product you desire to the engineering team. You may have to complete questionnaires or share examples. But the end product is worth all the efforts as it is designed only for you, catering to all the features you need.
- If you choose a custom HRM, you will need a higher level of ongoing support from an account manager and the engineering team. Your project manager can help you in making future enhancements and improvements smoother. This is worth the effort as you will be the first to know about new releases and features because of this relationship.
Finally, Custom HRMS or not?
Custom HRM products are a good idea if you know the exact reason why you want them. Also, it is not an easy and immediate step. It takes time not only to build a custom product but also in implementing it effectively. Make sure that you provide all the information the engineering team requires and also be clear in what features you need. As a matter of fact, the product is designed especially for your company. Bear with the time and cost issues and you will have a unique product just for you. exactllyHRMS is one of the best HRMS providers. To know more about exactllyHRMS, Contact Us and get a Free Demo.
Leave a Reply